Translation Services Coordinator
- Translation Services Coordinator JobID: 5664
- Position Type:
Administrative/Office Support/Exempt Professional
- Date Posted:
- Oversees and coordinates the operation of the Translation Services Department including timelines, goals and procedures.
- Coordinates all written translation and oral interpretation requests to ensure efficiency in meeting school and District staff needs.
- Supervises Translation Services staff; recommends new hires and terminations, conducts performance evaluations and resolves staff conflicts.
- Supports the career development of staff by providing teambuilding and professional development opportunities.
- Defines guest translator assessment system, and thereby determines level of translation to be performed by guest translators.
- Develops and reviews ongoing changes to the training materials developed to teach and hold responsible all translators on matters of District policy, methodology and expectations.
- Monitors and utilizes School Messenger system services in non-English languages to provide timely district news, updated information to Guest translators and advisories to stakeholders.
- Proofreads and approves translated documents.
- Interprets at meetings, specifically in difficult or hard to handle cases upon special request of principals, psychologists and administrators.
- Supervises and coordinates department’s involvement in parent/teacher conferences to maximize staff’s effectiveness and efficiency.
- Develops long- and short-range plans for language and communication needs within District, schools and community, according to statistical data collected.
- Provides assistance and acts as liaison for Administrative Center staff, visitors, and parents regarding translation and interpretation matters.
- Develops presentations and professional development for administrators, school and District office staff, including programs offered by Translation Services, such as Parent/Teacher conferences, Language Line, Culturegrams, Real-time interpretation equipment.
- Develops and updates training and evaluations for all translators and interpreters with regard to methodology, federal and state regulations, accepted practices and District policy.
- Assists the MIS Department in developing and maintaining software programming for parent-teacher conference scheduling.
- Makes recommendations to Assistant Superintendent of Academic Services for revision of annual budget based on projected department needs.
- Performs periodic statistical audits to assist Special Services Department in determining if individual schools are in compliance with IDEA and FAPE with regard to translation requirements.
- Assists with media relations with regard to Spanish media outlets.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Associates’ degree in Business Administration, Translation, Spanish, International Studies, or related field;
- Two years of education-related experience;
- Three years of translation and interpretation work-related experience;
- Proficiency in English and Spanish language.
- Bachelors’ degree in Business Administration, Translation, Spanish, International Studies, or related field;
- Two years of supervisory experience;
- Fluency in more than one foreign language.
- High-level competency in performing written language translations and oral interpretation;
- Knowledge of and appreciation for diverse language and cultural backgrounds, particularly within an educational setting;
- Application of basic statistics to analyse program impact and effectiveness;
- Pertinent state and federal laws and guidelines;
- Management theories and principles including supervision, leadership, etc.;
- Using computer software related programs; Proficiency in all MS programs and MIS related products.
- Engaging and encouraging communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
Starting Salary: $45,563
Department: Translation Services
Accountable To: Assistant Superintendent of Academic Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
Creation/Revision Date: March 21, 2018
Under general direction, incumbent oversees, supervises, and directs Translations Services Department including hiring and evaluating employees, budget management, delegation and dissemination of tasks and approval of outgoing product. In addition, incumbent also confers with other departments to assess/discuss their translation needs and determine timelines for such projects.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. Verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
It is preferred that applicant possesses the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.