Science/STEAM Instructional Specialist
Pay Grade: 3590
Position Control: 2931
Starting Salary: $56,773.00
Department: Academic Services
Accountable To: Director of Curriculum & Instruction
FLSA Status: Exempt
Creation/Revision Date: March 26, 2019
Under general direction, incumbent(s) supports the science curriculum and assessment implementation, as well as supports the district in designing and implementing Science Technology Engineering Arts & Mathematics (STEAM) curriculum and instruction. The incumbent also supports classroom teachers in the implementation of quality core practices in the classroom.
- Coordinates the implementation of science curriculum development at the district, school and classroom.
- Promotes and coordinates researched based science instructional strategies focusing Science and Engineering Practices
- Provides leadership in technology integration in science/STEAM curriculum and instruction, including computer science
- Monitors and analyzes all instructional assessment data and assists schools, administrators, and teachers with utilizing disaggregated student achievement data to plan and deliver science instruction
- Provides large- and small-group, as well as individual professional development to help schools and individual teachers deliver high quality, standards-aligned science instruction
- Coaches administrators and teachers pertaining to high quality science instructional delivery
- Works directly with school administrators and staff in the development, implementation, and evaluation of STEAM initiatives, curriculum, and instruction.
- Organizes, develops, coordinates and/or supports special STEAM events/activities, including after school clubs.
- Coaches administrators and individual teachers who request or require assistance pertaining to evidenced –based quality core instructional strategies, classroom management, and lesson design related to curricular, instructional, and assessment programs.
- Models lessons, whisper coaches, conducts observations, video tapes, and implements other researched based coaching strategies to provide a rounded coaching model.
- Actively participates in professional development that is provided by the District and/or by science and professional development organizations.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. Verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education;
- Five years of teaching experience;
- Experience with designing science curriculum/standards documents and science test items to standards level of rigor;
- Deep understanding of the 2018 Arizona Science Standards
- Valid Arizona Department of Education Teacher Certificate.
It is preferred that applicant possesses the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
- Master’s degree
- One year of program specialist experience;
- One year of curriculum instruction and assessment program experience.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
- Using computer software related programs;
- Demonstrating coaching skills
- Demonstrating effective instructional skills;
- Applying facilitation skills;
- Designing science curriculum/standards documents and test items;
- Demonstrating knowledge of District curricula, assessment, and instructional programs;
- Demonstrating skills with computer applications;
- Engaging and encouraging communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Contact Information
Friday, March 29, 2019 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)