Health Services Technician
Pay Grade: 4564
Position Control: 3955
Accountable To: Principal
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Creation/Revision Date: July 10, 2019
Summary: Under general direction, incumbent provides health care to students and staff by performing health screenings, providing first aid, administering medication and treatments, maintaining health records, ensuring immunization compliance, and presenting health information to students, families and staff to promote wellness.
- Administers basic first aid, screens ill or injured students, school personnel and assesses level of care needed. Documents all accidents/illnesses and completes accident reports according to District procedures.
- Organizes and maintains health office and health records in compliance with federal and state laws. Reviews immunization records to insure compliance. Orders and maintains school health equipment and first aid supplies.
- Administers daily medications and treatments in accordance with District procedures under supervision of the principal, as directed by the physician, with parental consent. Ensures medications are properly stored and secured in locked cabinets.
- Reports daily attendance for each class, identifies reasons for absences, notifies parents of absences and advises principal of excessive absences.
- Consults with principal on matters related to emergency situations, suspected child abuse, contagious diseases, or other medically sensitive situations. Provides health information that may affect student performance in academic, social or psychological areas.
- Provides specialized health care treatments approved by the student’s physician or other licensed health professional, the parent or legal guardian, after consulting with and receiving training from the Health Services Coordinator or Supervisory Nurse.
- Presents age appropriate health information to students and staff including education on hygiene, administration of emergency medications and other health related topics.
- Organizes and performs screening procedures for hearing, vision and lice. Maintains health records in compliance with federal and state laws.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level including attending meetings as scheduled by the Health Services Coordinator.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. Verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
- High School diploma;
- Two years experience in a healthcare setting or school health environment;
- Valid CPR certification prior to hire;
- Valid First Aid certification prior to hire.
It is preferred that applicant possesses the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
- Experience with student information systems (e.g. Genesis, CHIP);Hearing Certification Training certificate.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
- Performing basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents and or ratios
- Analyzing situations to define issues and draw conclusions
- Applying universal precautions and infection control techniques
- Knowing first aid procedures
- Assessing and treating injuries and illnesses within scope of training
- Maintaining paperwork and supplies in an organized manner
- Engaging and encouraging communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, parents etc. to exchange information
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Contact Information
Monday, December 2, 2019 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)