Substitute School Nurse
- Substitute School Nurse JobID: 2963
- Position Type:
Substitute/Temporary/Substitute Health Services
- Date Posted:
- Current registered nurse license;
- Two years of nursing experience;
- Current CPR Certificate.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing;
- Three years of school nursing experience;
- School Nurse Certification;
- Hearing screening training certificate.
- Applying health and safety laws and regulations;
- Knowing childhood development, including developmental needs related to children with specialized health care concerns;
- Knowing health and safety issues concerning pediatrics, including issues specifically related to children with complex medical needs;
- Utilizing community referral services and agencies;
- Applying screening techniques including hearing, vision, scoliosis, etc.;
- Assessing injuries and illnesses;
- Treating injuries and illnesses within scope of training;
- Administering specialized health care within a school setting;
- Employing appropriate transfer and positioning procedures in moving medically fragile students;
- Presenting educational materials;
- Administering medications;
- Maintaining paperwork and supplies in an organized manner;
- Engaging and encouraging communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
|Starting Salary Range: |
Substitute Daily Rate
|POSITION CONTROL: |
|ACCOUNTABLE TO: |
|FLSA STATUS: |
CLASS SUMMARY: Under general direction, incumbent(s) provides health care to students and staff; dispenses medication; implements specialized health care protocols; responds to medical emergencies; treats accidents and illnesses; performs health screenings; maintains health records; ensures immunizations are current; provides referral information to families; provides information to students and families to promote wellness.
|Maintains health office and health records. Reviews immunization records to insure compliance.||Daily |
|Administers daily medications and treatments in accordance with District procedures under the supervision of the principal, as directed by the physician, and with the parental consent. Ensures medications are properly stored and secured in locked cabinets.||Daily |
|Provides specialized health care services for accidents and illnesses of students and school personnel including assessing level of care needed. Documents accidents/illnesses and completes accident reports according to District procedures.||Daily |
|Reports daily attendance for each class, identifies reasons for absences, notifies parents of absences and advises principal of excessive absences.||Daily |
|Administers medication and implements specialized health care protocols (e.g. oxygen or ventilator therapies, tracheotomy suctioning, ostomy care, urethral catheterization, intravenous feeding, gastric tube feeding, SVN treatments, blood sugar monitoring, etc.) as ordered by a physician.||Daily |
|Notifies, advises, and updates parents regarding health care issues and medical problems involving individual and/or all students.||Daily |
|Consults with principal on matters related to emergency situations, suspected child abuse, contagious diseases, or other medically sensitive situations.||Weekly |
|Performs screening procedures for height, weight, blood pressure and lice.||Annually |
|Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.||As Required|
|REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: |
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. In addition, verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
|PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: |
It is preferred that applicant possesses the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
|PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES/REQUIREMENTS: |
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.